The first meeting of concerned parents took place in 1953, and in February 1957 Community Living Oshawa/Clarington was incorporated by Letters Patent. Shortly thereafter, a campaign was started to raise funds to build a large school for children with developmental disabilities, on property donated by the City of Oshawa. In March of 1960, classes moved from the church basement into the new Glenholme School, with it’s official opening taking place on June 18, 1960. This was the first such building on the north shore of Lake Ontario and the first in Ontario erected solely for the teaching of children with special needs.
At present, we support over 450 children, adults and their families with an operating budget of almost $19 million.
We provide residential options for adults and children as well as, a respite home for children, day activities and community participation for adults, employment supports, planning, and a volunteer program.
This is done with the dedication of our 300+ employees, our Board of Directors, and volunteers. The majority of our funding is obtained from the Ministry of Community and Social Services. Additional funding is received from bequests, donations and volunteer fundraising activities.
Click to listen highlighted text! Press the speaker to hear the text.